Dripping Springs Kids Fun Foundation was formed to provide financial assistance to children in the Dripping Springs Community who would otherwise be unable to participate in extracurricular activities due to financial constraints. Our goal is to help not only low-income families, but also children whose families are temporarily working through financial constraints due to situations such as serious illness, job loss, or divorce.
The Foundation was created in the Fall of 2009 as an Outreach Committee within the Dripping Springs Presbyterian Church (DSPC). That committee was formed with the goal of creating a new program that would benefit our neighbors. Dripping Springs is such an extracurricular activity-based community, with organizations like DSYSA having a huge presence. We quickly determined that these activities greatly benefit children, but that not everyone can afford the registration fees. We decided that this program should come from the community, not just within the walls of DSPC, so we created DS Kids Fun Foundation - and invited others from the community to join us.
In our research, we have found statistics that show tremendous benefits to children that participate in extracurricular activities. These kids:
- Meet people with the same interests
- Improve social skills, self esteem, and sense of empowerment
- Learn to work with others towards a common goal
- Develop leadership skills
- Develop an end-product they are proud of
- Learn lessons in winning and losing
- Gain an awareness of good sportsmanship
- Learn to take initiative
- Develop a sense of belonging
In addition, kids that participate in sports & the arts outside of their regular school-day activities are:
- 57 percent less likely to have dropped out of school;
- 49 percent less likely to have tried drugs;
- 37 percent less likely to have become teen parents; and
- 27 percent less likely to have been arrested.